The 38.6-acre Randlett Park was named after Col. James R. Randlette, who was administrator of the Indian Agency in Anadarko from 1899 to 1905. The City was founded in 1901, and during Col. Randlette’s term at the Agency, he secured land from the government for a park that became the present Randlett Park. Actual park development started between 1901 and 1905, before Oklahoma Statehood.
Randlett Park, a designated Historic District, has seven structures that have been nominated to the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory. These structures are the National Guard Armory, the 1908 Hydroelectric Power Plant and Dam Complex, the 1926 Municipal Pool, the East Automobile Entrance Brick Archway, the Southeast Play Area Archway, the Croquet Court Sign, and the C.R.I. & P. Railroad bridge piers. In addition, the Municipal Swimming Pool and the Hydroelectric Power Plant and Dam Complex have been identified as being of immediate National Register quality.
Currently, the park boasts a splash pad, playground equipment, walking trails and 35 RV hook-ups. The city tennis courts are located at Randlett Park, as are the softball and baseball fields.
In 2017 local citizens donated peacocks to the city. These residents live happily in their own peacock paradise at the park. Stop by for a look at these lovely creatures. Turtles, ducks and geese also call the park their own, so enjoy watching them while you are here.
The City of Anadarko is proud to host "Hoppy Days", "Honor America" and "Zombies in the Park" at Randlett Park each year. Hoppy Days is held the Saturday prior to Easter, the Honor America festival is the Saturday prior to the 4th of July, and Zombies in the Park is the Saturday before Halloween. Come join us and enjoy our hometown hospitality at its finest!
The Southern Plains Indian Museum displays richly varied arts of western Oklahoma tribal peoples including the Kiowa, Comanche, Kiowa-Apache, Southern Cheyenne, Southern Arapaho, Wichita, Caddo, Delaware, and Ft. Still Apache. Their historic clothing, shields, weapons, baby carriers, and toys highlight the exhibits. A series of promotional sales exhibitions introduces unsurpassed Contemporary American Indian arts and crafts by emerging artists and craftspersons. The museum was founded in 1947-48 through Federal and Oklahoma State governments' Cooperative efforts.
Click on one of the following to view information on the Southern Plains Indian Museum. - Current and Recent Exhibitions - Previous Exhibitions - Locations, Hours of Operation, Admission Fees and Additional Information Page - Rosemary Ellison Gallery - Local Events
The most recent addition to our Parks Department is the Downtown Pocket Park. The park was dedicated on May 3, 2018. In addition to lovely landscaping and a soothing waterfall, the park has picnic tables and benches that enable visitors to spend time enjoying the peaceful surroundings.
The US Post Office, located at 120 S. 1st Street is a lovely building, constructed in 1935. Formerly the Kiowa Indian Agency, it became the Post Office in 1947. The former name of the facility is still listed on the east side of the building.
In 1936 Oscar Jacobson, the man in charge of the WPA projects for Oklahoma commissioned Stephen Mopope to paint 16 murals for the newly constructed building. Mopope was assisted by James Auchiah and Spencer Asah. These three men were part of the renowned "Kiowa Five", a group of artists known for their depictions of American Indian ceremonial and social life.
Take a moment to stop in and look around. You won't be sorry you did! The murals, starting at the northeast corner of the room and moving east are:
1. Two Men in Council
2. Two Eagle Dancers
3. Fancy War Dancer with Cedar Wood Flute
4. Scalp Dance
5. Individual War Dance Drummer
6. Indian Mother and Child in Cradle
7. Eagle Whip and Flute Dancers
8. Two Women and Child Watching Dancers
The remaining panels start at the north side of the Post Office Lobby from right to left down the west wall (North to the Kiowa's was called the winter side, and the south the summer side.)
9. Buffalo Skull with Crossed Arrows
10. Medicine Man's Shield and Lance
11. The Deer Hunter
12. Kiowas Moving Camp
13. Kiowa Camp Site
14. Buffalo Hunting Scene
15. Buffalo Hunter's Shield
16. Fresh Buffalo Head
Rock Island Railroad Depot
311 East Main
In February, 1935, the women of the Anadarko Philomathic Club wished to exhibit old and valuable articles pertaining to the pioneers and the Indians. Thus was born the Anadarko Philomathic Museum. It began with a single display case in the city library (also started by the club) which was located on the third floor in the City Hall at First and Main.
The next year, a room across the hall from the library was provided by the city, prepared
by the club women, and formally opened as the Anadarko Philomathic Museum on August 6, 1936. Articles were added as years went by, and it became a place of great interest to natives and tourists. In 1966, when the fire station had moved from the old city hall, the rooms used by the firemen were provided for the first expansion. Mrs. Leon Carver, curator,
Mrs. John K. Taylor, Philomathic Club president, and Mrs. Gilbert Haslam, led members in redecorating, restoring, and moving articles into the new rooms. But still the club women dreamed of a larger, ground level facility.
In 1975, after many years of searching for a new location, the club women and other interested citizens, especially Mr. and Mrs. Leo Cade, began a determined effort to obtain the old Rock Island Passenger Station. It was no longer being used although the freight agent still had an office there. Mr. Cade was in constant contact with the Rock Island offices in Chicago about the possibility of acquiring the depot for the museum. Finally, arrangements were made with the railroad officials, and the City Council signed a lease agreement and allowed $8,000 for the project. With the help of State Senator Don Baldwin and other state legislators, $10,000 was included in an Oklahoma Historical Society appropriation which was granted to the museum when the funding committee raised "matching funds" from local citizens.
Curator at this time was Mrs. James Broyles. Mrs. A.C. Roberson and Mrs. Robert Stephens were co-chairmen of the Renovation Committee. During the entire project, the two started their "workday" at 7:30 a.m. and stayed with the professional workers till the end of their day at 5:30 p.m. They, along with other club women, and people from all sections of the community, spent hours of volunteer time working on all the large and small tasks that needed to be done to clean, renovate and make the building suitable for a museum. Mrs. B.W. Hammert III, club president in 1976, helped coordinate and lead the club to the completion of the project and the BIG moving day. It took several days to move, even with the help of husbands, children, Campfire Girls, Boy Scouts and many interested citizens with trucks and/or strong arms. It was a very challenging, busy, hot, but fun time. Dedication ceremonies were held on August 1, 1976, as part of Anadarko's 75th Anniversary celebration.
In 1979, an opening was made from the main room into the baggage room to add a grocery store and a pioneer doctor's office. Gifts from Mrs. Leo Cade (daughter of pioneer Dr. WW. Kerley) and Dr. and Mrs. A.C. Roberson helped furnish the doctor's office and waiting room.
That single display case in 1935 was the beginning of what is now recognized as one of Oklahoma's finest museums of general and pioneer history.
The museum is located at 311 E Main Street and admission is free to the public. Some of the items displayed at the museum include railroad memorabilia, photographs of early Anadarko settlers, historic Native American relics, Civil War documents, and old military uniforms.
Open Tuesday-Saturday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday, Monday and Legal holidays.
32210 County Road
The Center showcases the history and culture of the Wichita people from the beginnings of the village farming societies twelve centuries ago to the present day. Through a series of graphic panels, traditional museum exhibits, the replica grass-house and summer arbor, the life of the people of the Wichita is revealed.
The Center also contains a language archive and research library.